The Institute of Anthropology was established in 1974. According to Art. the rules of the institution from 1997, the organization's mission to promote research in the field of anthropology, both social and biological, including by:
- Undertake research in this field at home and abroad
- Promoting co-operation between the sector
- Publish and present the results of anthropological research
- Keep conferences, seminars and lectures in this field
- Provide advanced students in anthropology for research facilities
- For the preservation of research data.
There have not been elected representatives on the Board of Directors for a number of years. No permanent employee worked at the institute during the year and all activities lay down.